Back to St Philips | Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
The Garden
The Garden ->  General Discussion -> General Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me. Phil.4:13
- (Added by: c130alon)

Father Ellis who is St Philip?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

Stanthomas
Posted 9/15/2019 8:11 PM (#1256)
Subject: Father Ellis who is St Philip?

Veteran

(47.202.245.57)
INTRODUCTION WHO IS PHILIP? -THE APOSTLE-OUR CHURCH AND MENTOR

Saint Philip the Apostle, (born, Bethsaida of Galilee—
died 1st century, Western feast day May 3, Eastern feast day November 14),
one of the Twelve Apostles. DIVINELY SELECTED BY JESUS, TRAINED AS DISCIPLES AND FILLED WITH THE HOLY SPIRITD, CHURCH PLANTERS

Mentioned only by name in the Apostle lists of the Synoptic Gospels,
he is a frequent character in the Gospel According to John, according to which (1:43–51) he came from Bethsaida, answered Jesus’ call (“Follow me”) and was instrumental in the call of St. Nathanael (probably St. Bartholomew the Apostle), whom he brought to Jesus.

At the time of his call,
Philip seemingly belonged to a group influenced by St. John the Baptist.
He participated in the miracle of the loaves and fishes (John 6:5–9), accounting for his symbol in medieval art of loaves. With St. Andrew the Apostle, he brought word to Jesus that certain Greeks had asked to see him (John 12:21–22).

In John 14:8–9, Philip asked Jesus to reveal the Father, receiving the answer, “Have I been with you so long, and yet you do not know me, Philip? He who has seen me has seen the Father.”

Nothing more is known about him from the New Testament. In later legends he was often confused with St. Philip the Evangelist (Philip the Deacon), one of the seven deacons of the early church (Acts 6:5). His apostolate was supposedly in the territory of Scythia, an ancient Eurasian area. He died of natural causes according to one tradition but, according to another, of crucifixion, accounting for his other medieval symbol of a tall cross.
The Acts of Philip are apocryphal and probably date from the 3rd/4th century.

1ST WEEK- “COME AND SEE” & “FOLLOW ME”
“Again, the next day, John stood with two of his disciples.
And looking at Jesus as He walked, he said, “Behold the Lamb of God!” The two disciples heard him speak, and they followed Jesus. Then Jesus turned, and seeing them following, said to them, “What do you seek?” They said to Him, “Rabbi” (which is to say, when translated, Teacher), “where are You staying?”

He said to them, “Come and see.” They came and saw where (see what-hospitality, love...)
He was staying and remained with Him that day (now it was about the tenth hour).
One of the two who heard John speak, and followed Him, was Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother. He first found his own brother Simon, and said to
“We have found the Messiah”
(which is translated, the Christ). And he brought him to Jesus. Now when Jesus looked at him, He said, “You are Simon the son of Jonah. You shall be called Cephas” (which is translated, A Stone).
The following day Jesus wanted to go to Galilee, and He found Philip and said to him, “Follow Me.” Now Philip was from Bethsaida, the city of Andrew and Peter.
Philip found Nathanael and said to him, “We have found Him of whom Moses in the law, and also the prophets, wrote—Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.”
And Nathanael said to him,
“Can anything good come out of Nazareth?” (ST PHILIPS?)
Philip said to him, “Come and see.” (see what-hospitality, love, unity, kindness, self-giving...)

Jesus saw Nathanael coming toward Him, and said of him,
“Behold, an Israelite indeed, in whom is no deceit!”(People will be critical to us & our past)
Nathanael said to Him, “How do You know me?”
Jesus answered and said to him, (Jesus knows and loves these people already,just invite them)

“Before Philip called you, when you were under the fig tree, I saw you.”
Nathanael answered and said to Him, “Rabbi, You are the Son of God!
You are the King of Israel!” Jesus answered and said to him,
(MY LORD & MY KING-THOMAS CONFESSED-PERSONAL ENCOUTER)

“Because I said to you, ‘I saw you under the fig tree,’ do you believe?
You will see greater things than these.”
DO YOUR JOB AS A MEMBER OF ST PHILIPS…COME AND SEE…. FROM TODAY
And He said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, hereafter you shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of Man.”” John‬
https://www.bible.com/114/jhn.1.35-51.nkjv

2ND WEEK- “ARISE AND GO”
“Now an angel of the Lord spoke to Philip, saying,
“Arise and go toward the south along the road which goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza.”

This is desert. So, he arose and went. And behold, a man of Ethiopia, a eunuch of great authority under Candace the queen of the Ethiopians, who had charge of all her treasury, and had come to Jerusalem to worship, was returning. And sitting in his chariot, he was reading Isaiah the prophet.

Then the Spirit said to Philip, “Go near and overtake this chariot.”
So, Philip ran to him, and heard him reading the prophet Isaiah, and said,
“Do you understand what you are reading?” And he said,
“How can I, unless someone guides me?” And he asked Philip to come up and sit with him.

The place in the Scripture which he read was this: “He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; And as a lamb before its shearer is silent, So He opened not His mouth. In His humiliation His justice was taken away, and who will declare His generation?
For His life is taken from the earth.”

So, the eunuch answered Philip and said, “I ask you, of whom does the prophet say this, of himself or of some other man?” Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning at this Scripture, preached Jesus to him. Now as they went down the road, they came to some water. And the eunuch said, “See, here is water. What hinders me from being baptized?” Then Philip said, “If you believe with all your heart, you may.”
And he answered and said, “I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.”

So, he commanded the chariot to stand still. And both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water, and he baptized him. Now when they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught Philip away, so that the eunuch saw him no more; and he went on his way rejoicing.
But Phili

3RD WEEK- JESUS IS THE WAY, THE TRUTH AND THE LIFE
““If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; and from now on you know Him and have seen Him.” Philip said to Him, “Lord, show us the Father,
and it is sufficient for us.”

DO YOU ALSO KNOW THE FATHER LIKE PHILIP?
WHERE ARE YOU GOING AFTER THIS LIFE?

Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?

YOU HAVE BEEN A CRADLE EPISCOPAL/ANGLICAN/METHODIST/PRESBY,
HOW CAN YOU TALK THIS…?

Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me?
The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority;
but the Father who dwells in Me does the works.

Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father in Me,
or else believe Me for the sake of the works themselves.

“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me,
the works that I do he will do also;

(LIVE LIKE JESUS, INCREASE FAITH, RIGHTEOUSLY, HEALING, MIRACLES…)

and greater works than these he will do,
because I go to My Father.

And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do,
that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

If you ask anything in My name, I will do it.
“If you love Me,
keep My commandments.

And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, t
hat He may abide with you forever— the Spirit of truth,
whom the world cannot receive,
because it neither sees Him nor knows Him;
but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you.
(HOW,…HOLY SPIRIT)
I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.”

https://www.bible.com/114/jhn.14.7-18.nkjv

““Let not your heart be troubled;
you believe in God, believe also in Me.
In My Father’s house are many mansions;
if it were not so, I would have told you.
I go to prepare a place for you.
And if I go and prepare a place for you,
I will come again and receive you to Myself;….
that where I am, there you may be also. And where I go you know, and the way you know.” Thomas said to Him, “Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way?”

JUST LIKE THOMAS, WHERE ARE YOU TOO GOING AFTER THIS LIFE?

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life.
No one comes to the Father except through Me.”

https://www.bible.com/114/jhn.14.1-6.nkjv

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software