Back to St Philips | Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
The Garden
The Garden ->  General Discussion -> Polls -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. Matt 12:34
- (Added by: c130alon)

First Sunday of Lent
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> PollsMessage format

Stanthomas
Posted 3/7/2020 8:29 PM (#1331)
Subject: First Sunday of Lent

Veteran

(67.9.191.176)
First Sunday in Lent - March 1, 2020
THE OLD STORY OF SIN, IT IS STILL MAN’S WORSE ENEMEY…

WHAT EVEN AT ALL IS SIN? DOES SIN CHANGES WITH TIME?

HOW DO WE IDENTIFY SIN IN OWN LIFE & DEAL WITH IT DURING THIS LENT?

WHEN DID IT ALL BEGAN IN THE BIBLE AND ALSO IN MY OWN LIFE?

YOU AND I ARE TEMPTED IN OUR EVERY DAY LIVES?

HOW CAN WE OVERCOME OUR DAILY BATTLES OF SIN AND TEMPTATIONS?

LET’S IDENTIFY THE DIFFERENCE
BETWEEEN THE TWO TEMPTATIONS ACCOUNTS?

Genesis 2:15-17 New King James Version (NKJV)
15 Then the Lord God took [a]the man and
put him in the garden of Eden to tend and keep it.
6 And the Lord God commanded the man,
saying, “Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat;
17 but of the tree of the knowledge of good and
evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you[c] shall surely die.”
ILLUSTRATION: live cable wire INSIDE THE CHURCH…DISOBEDIENCE
The Temptation and Fall of Man
3 Now the serpent was more cunning than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made. And he said to the woman, “Has God indeed said, ‘You shall not eat of every tree of the garden’?” A SPIRITUAL QUESTION…
2 And the woman said to the serpent, “We may eat the fruit of the trees of the garden; 3 but of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God has said, ‘You shall not eat it, nor shall you touch it, lest you die.’ ”
4 Then the serpent said to the woman, “You will not surely die. 5 For God knows that in the day you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.” THE WOMEN RESPONDED WITH PHYSICAL UNDERSTANDING…
6 So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, that it was [a]pleasant to the eyes, and a tree desirable to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate. She also gave to her husband with her, and he ate. 7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves coverings. PHYSICAL ATTRACTIONS…
DO NOT ARGUE WITH SATAN OR HIS AGENTS IN ANY FORM OR KIND.
THE TEMPTER, DEVIL, SERPENT IS OLDER, SMARTER, SHREWDER, CUNNING, MOST DECEPTIVE THAN ANY HUMAN BEING DEAD OR ALIVE…
THEREFORE, LET US IMITATE JESUS OUR MASTER, OUR LORD AND OUR GOD….
Matthew 4:1-11 New King James Version (NKJV)
Satan Tempts Jesus
4 Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. 2 And when He had fasted forty days and forty nights,
afterward He was hungry. PHYSICAL NEED. FROM NOT EATING FOR 40 DAYS…
Now when the tempter came to Him...HE TEMPTS US WHEN WE DESPARATE AND VULNERABLE, AT WITS END, SEEMINGLY HELPLESS, PHYSICALLY INCAPABLE
he said, “If You are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread.”
4 But He answered and said,
“It is written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone,
but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.’”
Deuteronomy 8:3 New King James Version (NKJV)
3 So He humbled you, allowed you to hunger, and fed you with manna which you did not know nor did your fathers know, that He might make you know that man shall not live by bread alone; but man lives by every word that proceeds from the mouth of the Lord
5 Then the devil took Him up into the holy city, set Him on the pinnacle of the temple, 6 and said to Him,
HE QUOTES FROM THE BIBLE…COVER TO COVER
“If You are the Son of God, throw Yourself down. For it is written:
‘He shall give His angels charge over you,’ and, ‘In their hands they shall bear you up, Lest you dash your foot against a stone.’ ”

Psalm 91:11-12 New King James Version (NKJV)
For He shall give His angels charge over you, To keep you in all your ways.
12 In their hands they shall [c]bear you up, Lest you [d]dash your foot against a stone.
7 Jesus said to him, “It is written again, ‘You shall not [a]tempt the Lord your God.’ ”
Deuteronomy 6:16 New King James Version (NKJV)
16 “You shall not [a]tempt the Lord your God as you tempted Him in Massah.
8 Again, the devil took Him up on an exceedingly high mountain and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory. 9 And he said to Him,
“All these things I will give You if You will fall down and worship me.”
10 Then Jesus said to him, “Away with you, Satan! For it is written,
‘You shall worship the Lord your God, and Him only you shall serve.’”
Deuteronomy 6:13 New King James Version (NKJV)
13 You shall fear the Lord your God and serve Him and shall take oaths in His name.
11 Then the devil left Him, and behold, angels came and ministered to Him.
THE ONLY WEAPON THE DEVIL, SATAN, TEMPTER FEARS MOST AND SUBMITS TO OR RUNS AWAY FROM IS THE WORD OF GOD, HOLY SCRIPTURES, THE BIBLE…

HOW MUCH OF THE BIBLE DO TOU KNOW…?
HOW MANY VERSES CAN YOU QOUTE BACK WHEN YOU ARE ALSO TEMPTED…?

THIS LENT BEGIN TO READ THE BIBLE AND MEDITATE AND MEMORIZE SOME VERSE….

SO, THE OLD STORY OF SIN, IS STILL MAN’S WORSE ENEMEY…

WHAT EVEN AT ALL IS SIN? DOES SINS CHANGE WITH TIME?

HOW DO WE IDENTIFY IT IN OWN LIFE & DEAL WITH IT DURING THIS LENT?

WHEN DID IT ALL BEGAN IN THE BIBLE AND ALSO IN MY OWN LIFE?

YOU AND I ARE TEMPTED IN OUR EVERY DAY LIVES?

HOW CAN WE OVERCOME OUR DAILY BATTLES OF SIN AND TEMPTATIONS?

James 1:12 - "Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him." James also teaches Christians that the end results of resisting temptation will produce in us joy and perfecting patience.

James 1:2-4 - "My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing."

In the bible, temptation could be either: 1) an enticement to evil thoughts, words or deeds, or 2) put to or under a severe trial or affliction.

Since the Garden of Eden, men and women face numerous temptations daily from Satan. Let us look at two individuals just like us and their different temptations, how they endured temptation, and the rewards of endurance.
Job had to endure a severe temptation when he lost all his possessions (he was very rich), lost his servants and children, and lost the moral support of his wife and the compassionate understanding of his friends.

Add to this pitiable picture a devastating bodily condition that made him miserable.

Job's response to these overwhelming trials was to pray repeatedly to God and to ask for help and understanding. He never lost faith completely--look at his faith, as expressed in 19:25-27 - "For I know that my Redeemer lives, and He shall stand at last on the earth; and after my skin is destroyed, this I know, that in my flesh I shall see God, whom I shall see for myself, and my eyes shall behold, and not another. How my heart yearns within me!" God blesses His children who endure trials.

The final chapter of the book of Job reveals that Job's endurance to his trials resulted in a very happy ending. Verse 12 of Chapter 42 begins with the words: "Now the LORD blessed the latter days of Job more than his beginning...". His abundant possessions, his beautiful children, and his long life all attest to the blessings from a God who blesses His children who endure.

Joseph was a young man, "handsome in form and appearance" (Genesis 39:6b), when he faced his greatest temptation…Potiphar’s wife,…."run away"--to put distance between ourselves and the source of temptation! Joseph's Old Testament story is a perfect example of fulfilling this New Testament command.

Joseph's refusal to sin with her resulted in her lying and causing Joseph to be thrown into prison. The rest of Joseph's wonderful story, told in Genesis, chapters 40 through 50, show the working out of God's promises to His people through the life of Joseph. There is no way to estimate the good that is accomplished each time we resist temptation in any form.

The blessing to our own life and character, and the blessings we can then provide to others are products of successfully enduring temptation…Through OBEDIENCE…OBEDIENCE…OBEDIENCE…OBEDIENCE…this lent…
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2020 PD9 Software