Back to St Philips | Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
The Garden
The Garden ->  General Discussion -> General Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Sorrow looks backward, Worry looks around, Faith looks Up. - unknown
- (Added by: denice)

I had a thought ...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

c130alon
Posted 6/22/2020 8:35 AM (#1359)
Subject: I had a thought ...

Elite Veteran

(75.115.232.173)
that reminded me of something else that then brought me here to share with you. The original thought is long gone, I'm afraid, but I'm right where the Holy Spirit wants me to be in order to share with you a discovery I made.

I have always had a problem with the Psalms. Every morning I do Morning Prayer and read the listed readings but I could never figure out why a particular Psalm was chosen as more often than not, it didn't seem to have anything to do with Morning Prayer's other readings. Ok; so I know in year's time I will have read the entire Psalter but that's as far as my understanding goes. The Psalms themselves, just to read them to 'read them', presented to me a huge confusion. Who is speaking to whom (and why?), who is answering, and what am I supposed to understand but don't?

It happened that I was included in an email in regard to preparations for a woman's retreat at St. Leo's Monastery in Central Florida (https://www.bing.com/search?q=st+leo%27s+monastery+florida&form=EDGTCT&qs=AS&cvid=752136f3c8714cbfb94c12ed851e0f24&refig=01a649113b47412e906e67809f3ff725&cc=US&setlang=en-US&plvar=0&PC=DCTS). In the email, it was mentioned that one of our deaconesses was going to include a reading list, the titles of which were given. On the list I saw "Christ in the Psalms" by Patrick Henry Reardon. I asked Sister Linda (she is, indeed, a nun but we refer to our deaconesses as 'Sister' because it's easier to say than "Deaconess Tina", for example.) Anyway - Sister Linda recommended the book highly and so I purchased it.

What a blessing this book has turned out to be! Here is the Wikipedia page about Reardon https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Henry_Reardon.

The book is brilliant - simply brilliant. First of all, it's not over anyone's head, the explanations are easy to read, and with the exception of having to look up a few words here and there, it opened the Psalms to me as never before. Something that mattered very much at the time I purchased the book, I was still working and time was at a premium; each Psalm explanation is no more than a page and a half. I'm all for that! Tell me what I need to know quickly. Now that I'm retired, I have all the time in the world to read and do research but finding this gem of a book is still like finding a pot of gold each morning.

So now I'm making a recommendation to you - get Christ in the Psalms by Patrick Henry Reardon. https://www.amazon.com/Christ-Psalms-Patrick-Henry-Reardon/dp/188821...

OH! Just in case you're wondering - the world being the way the world is today - I get no financial benefit from sharing my enthusiasm with you and giving you the information about the book. I'm doing it just to help folks like me who don't understand the Psalms but will, once they read this book. Keep it close so when you're doing your prayers, you have this reference handy.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2020 PD9 Software